Important: Currently the grove is closed due to storm damages and repair work until further notice.
Just a few miles from The Redwoods In Yosemite, the majestic and awe-inspiring Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias is a “must experience” for your Yosemite bucket list!
The Mariposa Grove is the largest sequoia grove in Yosemite and is home to over 500 mature giant sequoias. The national park idea is rooted in the Mariposa Grove. In 1864 President Lincoln signed legislation protecting the Mariposa Grove and Yosemite Valley for “public use, resort, and recreation.” This landmark legislation holds an important place in our country’s history and was enacted at a time when the nation was embroiled in the Civil War. For the first time in our nation’s history, the federal government set aside scenic natural areas to be protected for the benefit of future generations. Later added to Yosemite National Park in 1906, the Mariposa Grove is a popular destination within the park.
Hiking the Grove
Big Trees Loop Trail (easy)
- 0.3 mile (0.5 km) toop from trailhead, 30 to 45 minutes (wheelchair accessible)
- Begin at Mariposa Grove Arrival Area. Winding through a forest with many giant sequoias, this trail features the Fallen Monarch and interpretive panels on the life and ecology of giant sequoias. This loop is relatively flat and is wheelchair accessible.
Grizzly Giant Loop Trail (moderate)
- 2 miles (3.2 km) loop from trailhead, 1.5 to 2 hours
- Begin at Mariposa Grove Arrival Area. Start along the Mariposa Grove Trail at the Big Trees Loop and hike past notable trees such as the Bachelor and Three Graces, the Grizzly Giant, and California Tunnel Tree. Allow two hours to enjoy the full loop that winds along the edge of the grove and includes 300 feet (91 m) of elevation gain. Visitors with a valid disabled placard can drive as far as the Grizzly Giant parking area and enjoy this area of the grove via a section of trail that is wheelchair accessible.
Guardians Loop Trail (strenuous)
- 6.5 miles (10.5 km) round trip from trailhead, 4 to 6 hours